Celebrate the Colorado River with a night of music!
Share your best river song at the Songwriting Competition at Uptown Pubhouse, 114 N. Leroux St. in Flagstaff, on Thursday, October 3 at 7pm!
Anyone can enter. (see the rules below, particularly #4 & 5).
- Fabulous prizes!
- Local celebs will do the judging.
- Contact Alicyn for information at (928) 774-6514 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Song must be entirely original content, created by the performer.
2. Song must relate to either a) the Colorado River, or b) “the River”, or c) have appropriate references to a river that might be the Colorado River.
3. Performance must be solo. No accompaniments at time of performance, though recordings of the song may include other musicians.
4. One week prior to the contest, by midnight MST on Thursday, September 26, songwriters must submit their lyrics for review by the judging panel. Submit to email@example.com, with subject line SONG SUBMISSION (does not have to be all caps). It would be helpful to also submit a recording or video if one is available. Please include your name, phone number, and email address in case we need to reach you. The sole purpose of the submission will be for judging, and unless permission is given at a later time, lyrics, music, recordings, and video will not be shared or used for any other purpose. **NOTE: If you miss this deadline, contact us to see if entrance slots remain; we may be able to get you into the contest at the last minute. No guarantee.**
5. Songwriters must be present to perform their song before a panel of judges at Uptown Pubhouse, Flagstaff, AZ, on the evening of October 3, 2013 to be eligible to win. You will be told what time you play when you arrive that evening.
6. All decisions of the judges will be final. It will be at the judges’ discretion whether to discuss their decisions with contestants or anyone else.
7. Contestants will not hold Uptown Billiards, event sponsors, or any other person, organization, company, or group involved in this contest or Colorado River Days Flagstaff liable for any injury or damage, real or perceived.
8. Winners will consider the possibility of sharing their song with hosting organizations, particularly the Sierra Club, for the purpose of raising awareness of the values of the Colorado River, the importance of healthy flows, and threats to the Colorado River’s water supply, plants, and animals. No infringement of copyright is implied, nor are your rights to your song waived, by entering this contest.
Judging will be based on:
- 40% lyrical content
- 40% musical composition
- 10% performance and crowd engagement
- 10% musical/lyrical connection to the River